Monday, September 9, 2013

ULatina

So today was the first day of classes, which means we just took a tour of ULatina and a Spanish placement test.
ULatina is a small university and it was easy for me to find my way around. Even taking public transportation to get to the campus is simple, but the traffic is ridiculous! The bus stop is right outside of my house and about 8 other students live in my neighborhood so we all take the same bus.
I did horribly on the test, which is expected, because I came to Costa Rica with just about 0 Spanish. I took classes in high school, but have forgotten most of it over the years and I came to Costa Rica without a review. So as a lesson, language should never deter you from traveling! I am managing well.
This weekend I went with a couple students and their host moms to the city and market area of San Jose. It was definitely an experience. San Jose is a city, much like any other, but the Latin American vibe is easy to see. Obviously there aren't many tall buildings and the infrastructure isn't as well managed as it is in the States. There are a few small parks throughout the city and some nice markets where its easy to get some cheap souvenirs and food. Although San Jose is great and there are plenty of places to go within the city, my plan is to travel every possible weekend to an exotic locale throughout the country.
As for the financial burden of traveling, its not too much to worry about. Everything is cheaper in Costa Rica than it is in the States (but not by much). For instance, I can get typical lunch (or casado) which includes rice, beans, vegetable, choice of meat (or vegetarian option), a fresh drink, and a salad for about 5 dollars. Yes, 5 dollars. Oh and so far, multiple times this trip I've said "This is the best milkshake, pineapple, strawberry, plantain, etc I've ever had!" so definitely try tons of fruit because they are all so delicious and perfect. Also, a bus all around San Jose costs a whopping 50 cents and a bus to most of the beaches costs around 5-15 bucks. I definitely plan to budget, but I also try to remember that I'm not in Latin America every day. Its important that I spend money to travel and try new things while I'm here. This is a once in a life time experience and I plan to make the most of it!
That's all for today! I'll have more about classes and the weekday life later this week. Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment