Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Finally feeling Homesick

Well its happened, I finally feel homesick. I miss my family, boyfriend, and friends. For about a week I was pretty bothered by this, but now I am just feeling the remnants. It is perfectly natural. I have been gone for two months and have had little contact with most people. I have gotten over the feeling simply by talking to friends and family on Facebook. I have plenty of time to do that during the week, so it hasn't been anything of concern. I have a little less than 5 weeks in Costa Rica. Although I am a bit homesick now, I know I still have so much to do here. I, in no way, want to leave Costa Rica though. It probably didn't help that I stayed in San Jose this weekend. We had a service learning activity on Saturday. My group, along with about 30 other college students, volunteered at a small school in Tirasses, which is a local town. It is very poor and it was evident by the houses and pollution surrounding the area. In about 5 hours, we made a garden right outside the school and I have to admit, it looked really nice! I am very happy we were able to get that done and help out the school. Some school kids were there and they were very nice, some of us had the opportunity to practice our Spanish (which is always needed). It felt really great to volunteer and actually make a difference. Take advantage of talking to Costa Rica children. They can tell you a lot about the culture and they easily latch onto people. It is easy to make a connection with children. At night, we went to a bar in San Pedro called Mundo Loco. It is very close to ULatina and is always a very good time. The bar played some Latin music on Saturday, so the atmosphere was very fun and lively. We spent some time dancing. Besides that, this weekend was very calm and allowed me to plan for my next couple of weekends here. This weekend, I am going to Nicaragua with ICDS, I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am about that. I have a feeling it will be one of the best weekends here, if not the best. ICDS is great at planning trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment