Thursday, October 10, 2013

Studying abroad in Costa Rica

This is my 5th week in Costa Rica and I can´t believe it. Tomorrow, I and a few others are traveling to Puerto Viejo for the weekend. Although its only been a few days since Monte Verde, I feel like I just got back. The week days literally fly by. I guess its because everyday I have class from 8-3:30 except on Fridays when I have class for 2 hours until 12. Also, the work load is not small or easy. I came to Costa Rica thinking the classes would be super easy and I would spend most of my time around the city of San Jose. Although I do find myself in San Jose sometimes, most of my week days consist of getting my homework done so I don´t have to worry about it on the weekend. It is definitely import to balance play with academic planning, but it is harder to do that in Costa Rica because on the weekends I do absolutely no homework. So my weekday life centers just around my classes. It definitely helps that the subject matter (environmental sustainability) is a subject I hope to become involved with for the rest of my life. I really do find my classes very interesting and they are nothing like the classes I have taken at Drexel. The environmental sustainability track is very much about policy and institutional change compared to the environmental science courses at Drexel which are mostly about biodiversity and scientific research. I am SO happy that I came to Costa Rica to take these classes, because Drexel cannot offer me anything similar to these classes. I know I will have an advantage against other students majoring in environmental science because of Costa Rica.
Also, I am so happy that I came to Costa Rica and stayed with a host family. Its a completely different type of experience because you are COMPLETELY immersed in the culture and a student living in a dorm or apartment with other study abroad students will never feel that type of connection. I have developed such a strong love for Costa Rica and Latin America and it is because I was thrown into the culture and have developed an understanding of it. I cannot stress enough that a study abroad experience is not just about going out and seeing different things and partying, it is about understanding new cultures, becoming a part of it, and giving back to the country that is giving to you. Also, I came to Costa Rica not really caring if I learned Spanish while I was here or not. Now, I really hope I come back at least conversational. Its really fulfilling to be able to have conversations with my host mom in Spanish and I am proud when I can order in a restaurant with no problems. I can´t explain it, but the success feels great! Now, I feel like when I visit other countries in the future, I will try to immerse myself not just in the environment and sights, but in the culture as well.
The Take Home Message: Traveling abroad is about becoming a part of other cultures and experiencing different ways of life, not partying and looking at pretty things.
Here is a typical breakfast in Costa Rica:

No comments:

Post a Comment